Watch out: Scammers may try to trick or scare you into giving them money by pretending to be from We Energies.
Don’t be a victim. If you think a scammer is targeting you, call us at
If you fall victim to a scam, report the theft to your local police.
Beware of these common scams:
This is the most common scam. A caller may:
- Pretend to be from We Energies. They may even manipulate caller ID to display "We Energies"
or use a recording that sounds like it’s from us.
- Threaten to turn off your energy in a short amount of time.
- Demand immediate payment — often with a prepaid debit card, third-party digital payment app like Zelle or an unusual payment method such as bitcoin.
If you are ever in doubt about a phone call, hang up and call us.
If someone comes to your door claiming to be from We Energies, ask for identification. It’s not rude — it’s safe.
Here’s how to tell a real We Energies employee or contractor from a fake one.
- An employee or contractor will readily prove their identity. An imposter won’t.
- An employee or contractor will wear a photo ID with their name and company logo.
When in doubt, call us so we can confirm our employee’s or our contractor’s identity.
What you can do to stop scams
- Don’t respond. If you have any doubts about a call, email or text message, follow your instincts.
Hang up the phone on suspicious callers and ignore suspicious emails and texts. Call us and we can verify your
payment status and check on your account anytime.
- Get it in writing. We typically contact you several times via mail about past-due bills
before service is shut off — not by a phone call the same day.
- Know your options. We provide many payment options
and never require use of a prepaid debit card or unusual payment method.
- Report it. Contact local authorities and us to report a theft or attempted theft.
If you gave the scammers money, also reach out to your bank, credit card company or third-party
digital payment app to try to stop your money from being transferred.
- Keep others safe. Share these tips with neighbors, family and friends.
Customer service: 800-242-9137