Sales tax exemptions - Wisconsin

You may be eligible for a sales tax exemption on energy bills if you are a:

  • 501(c)(3) organization (religious, charitable, scientific or education organization)
  • Residential customer who only uses energy from November through April
  • Native American enrolled in and residing on a reservation
  • Customer involved in farming or agriculture (including dairy farming, floriculture or horticulture)
  • Manufacturer purchasing and consuming fuel and/or electricity to manufacture tangible personal property (change in law effective Jan. 1, 2006)
  • Seller of compressed natural gas (CNG) as a transportation fuel

Tax exempt

To apply for exempt status, the State of Wisconsin requires that you complete Wisconsin Department of Revenue Form S-211 (Wisconsin Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate). The effective date of the sales tax exemption is the date the form is signed. We cannot determine your taxable status. Consult a tax adviser if you have questions about exemptions. You also can visit Wisconsin Department of Revenue to learn more.

Sales tax refund

You also may be eligible for a credit of sales tax charged and paid on energy bills prior to the date of the sales tax exemption request on Wisconsin Department of Revenue Form S-211. If you discover that your business qualifies for an exemption but has been paying sales tax, you may apply for a Wisconsin Department of Revenue refund. If you don’t know how much sales tax you have paid for utility service, we can help you.

  • Business Account Online. Sign in to BAO and download your data.
  • Business Center. Call our consultants at 800-714-7777, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. M-F.

Wisconsin Department of Revenue forms and information

Fill out a separate form for each We Energies account that qualifies for exemption.

If you complete sections 1 and 3 of Wisconsin Department of Revenue Form S-220a and send it to us, we will complete section 2 and return it to you so you can claim your Wisconsin Department of Revenue refund.

Return completed forms to us via:
Small Commercial:
Large Commercial:
Fax: 414-221-3214
We Energies
Attn: Billing P129
P.O. Box 2046
Milwaukee, WI 53201-2046