To ensure your furnace and other equipment operate properly during winter, keep these safety tips in mind:
Keep vents and meters clear of snow and ice
- If you have natural gas appliances that vent outside of your home, keep the vent pipes clear of snow and ice.
- Keep natural gas and electric meters clear of snow and ice for safety and accessibility.
- Never shovel snow onto your meters or let excessive snow cover them.
- Clear snow and ice from your meters by hand or with a broom. Shovels and other tools can damage the equipment.
- Don’t bury the meters when using a snow blower or shovel.
- Remove icicles that may drip water onto the meters. Icy buildup can interfere with the flow of natural gas through the meter and into the house.