To ensure your furnace and other equipment operate properly, always keep your natural gas meter and appliance vents clear of snow and ice during winter.
Vent and meter tips
- Keep vent pipes clear of ice and snow If you have a high-efficiency furnace, power-vented water heater and/or other natural gas appliance that vent out the side of your home.
- Keep natural gas meters clear of ice and snow for safety and accessibility.
- Never shovel snow onto your meter or let excessive snow cover it.
- Remove snow and ice from your meter by hand or with a broom. Shovels and other tools can cause damage.
- Remove icicles above a meter to prevent dripping water from refreezing on the meter.