Gas leak, odor or emergency
Natural gas is colorless and odorless until we add mercaptan, a rotten egg odor to help detect leaks. If you smell natural gas or have a natural gas emergency:
- Leave immediately – do not turn on light switches or use phone.
- Call 800-261-5325 from another location.
Natural gas outages
Natural gas outages are rare; however, equipment failures, digging damage, natural disasters and maintenance work can disrupt service. Outage tips:
- In cold weather, put on layers of clothing to keep warm.
- Close blinds or drapes and avoid opening doors to retain heat.
- If needed, use an indoor, electric space heater.
- Do not use outdoor grills, kerosene heaters or camping heaters.