Power outage or emergency
Steps to take
- Report and get updates on your outage by calling 800-662-4797.
- Stay away from downed power lines or flooded areas outside.
- Stay out of a flooded basement or room.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible.
- Use manual operation of garage door.
- Go to safe shelter if your home is extremely cold or hot.
- Use battery-operated lights rather than candles.
- Use generators properly.
- Unplug or turn off appliances to avoid overloading when power is restored.
- Leave a single light on to alert you when power is restored.
- If you are the only home without power, check breakers or fuses.
Cold weather tips
When power is out, your furnace will not operate. Tips to stay safe:
- Wear layers of clothing to keep warm.
- Close blinds or drapes and avoid opening doors to retain heat.
- Use a generator to power your furnace, but use it properly.
- Use a properly vented fireplace or wood-burning stove, if you have one.
- Do not use outdoor grills, kerosene heaters or camping heaters.
- Go to safe shelter when extremely cold.