Natural gas leaks and emergencies
Natural gas is colorless and odorless until we add mercaptan, an odor similar to sulfur / rotten eggs, which helps you detect leaks. If you smell natural gas or have a natural gas emergency:
- Leave immediately – do not turn on light switches or use phones.
- Call 800-261-5325 from another location.
Natural gas outages
Natural gas outages are rare; however, equipment failures, digging damage, natural disasters and maintenance work can disrupt service. Outage tips:
- Use layers of clothing to keep warm.
- Close blinds or drapes and avoid opening doors to retain heat.
- Use an electric space heater, if needed to stay warm.
- Never use outdoor grills, kerosene heaters or camping heaters for indoor heating.