Electric Service and Metering Manual, Book 1
This manual supplies essential information to customers, contractors, builders, architects, engineers and others concerned with designing and planning electrical installations.
Use this manual’s information in conjunction with our Electric Service Rules and Regulations on file with the Wisconsin and Michigan public service commissions. In issuing this manual, we do not relieve the customer or contractor of responsibility for installing the wiring in accordance with the applicable Wisconsin or Michigan state electrical codes, or local ordinances, or for maintaining the wiring and equipment in a safe operating condition. We cannot accept any responsibility for the condition of customer wiring and equipment.
This edition of the Electric Service and Metering Manual supersedes any and all previous editions. The information contained within is general and may not cover all conditions. For new or special cases not specifically covered in this manual, contact the respective service center.
Major changes to Book 1
- We Energies Service Center Directory (G-2)
- Additional requirement for larger services. Load-factor calculation needed for services larger than 2000 amperes.
- Website links for Diggers Hotline and Miss DIG.
- Although we no longer offer three-phase, 240-volt (commonly referred to as grounded B-phase) and 480-volt, three-wire services for new service, we continue to maintain them at existing locations.
Book 1 sections
- G (General) – We Energies phone numbers, general information, secondary voltages and One Call numbers for location of utility facilities.
- O (Overhead) – Installation details of equipment for overhead services, showing equipment layout, critical dimensions and service drop terminations.
- U (Underground) – Installation details of equipment for underground services, layout, critical dimensions and terminations.
- M (Metering) – Information about service equipment wiring, organized by type of service, overhead or underground, 1Ø or 3Ø, and ampacity. Metering sequence to be followed is given after title block. This section references pages in Section D for specific metering installations.
- Appendix – Choosing the proper meter socket.
Meter Mounting Devices – Information about all approved termination and metering equipment, arranged similarly to Section M in Book 1. Only equipment listed in this section should be used.