Outdoor lighting considerations
Well-designed lighting provides better visibility, a sense of security and minimizes energy use, operating costs and adverse effects to the environment.
Your outdoor lighting should:
- Use the optimum number of fixtures with appropriate light output. Make sure to provide adequate light for your needs, but never light excessively.
- Restrict the light output, as much as practical, to the intended area. Excess light wastes energy, and may disturb neighbors or the community.
- Use high-efficiency lamps that meet design standards for color and quality.
- Use dependable fixtures, lamps and other materials to minimize outages and associated maintenance expenses.
- Be designed for cost-effective maintenance without overly burdening yourself, your maintenance personnel, or your budget.
- Conform to local lighting ordinances.