Power plant operators
Our power plant operators keep the power flowing safely and reliably to customers throughout our service area. Learn more about our company and our opportunities:
The principal duties of a Plant Operator consist of operating boiler-turbine-generator units, combustion turbine-generator units and district steam heating systems (if applicable to the plant). These operations include:
- Investigating abnormal conditions, initiating corrective action, performing preventative maintenance and making regular repairs to equipment.
- Observing and interpreting instruments, alarms, and indicators to determine the status of all equipment and performing the necessary actions to achieve safe and continual operating conditions.
- Logging data and maintaining accurate records, including unusual operating conditions with the corrective actions taken and interpreting such information as required.
- Isolating equipment and doing necessary switching, including participation in the Protective Tag Procedure if trained and qualified.
- Operating fuel handling equipment, such as coal conveyor systems, tractors, front end loaders, bulldozers, back hoes, small tractors and ash removal equipment, as well as other plant service vehicles.
- Troubleshooting and correcting malfunctions of equipment, including pumps, motors, valves, fans, air compressors, gear trains, fuel and ash handling systems, water systems, lighting systems, steam generators, turbines, etc. Changing of air, fuel, water, and lube oil filters; repacking equipment; removing and replacing valves; lubricating and greasing equipment; and replacing belts.
Applicant qualification for this position consists of having above average aptitude for mechanical/technical work and an acceptable attendance and safety record.
Successful candidates must complete a 13-week Basic Power Plant Fundamentals training, which includes classroom, hands-on, and in-plant learning to provide participants with a foundation for success.
Technical degree programs
- Mid-State Technical College - Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
- Milwaukee Area Technical College – Oak Creek, Wisconsin
- Power Engineering and Boiler Operator Technical Diploma
- Bismarck State College - Distance Learning