Maintain wiring and equipment
- Uses fixtures and materials approved for agricultural use.
- Keep fixtures and equipment clean and dry to avoid corrosion.
- Consider installing lightning protection.
- Have a qualified electrician make sure service entrance panel to each building is properly grounded.
- Maintain rodent control to keep rodents from damaging wiring.
Keep power lines in mind while working
- Lower equipment before crossing under power lines.
- Have another person help you move equipment under power lines.
- Show workers and family members potential electric hazard locations.
Know what to do in an emergency
- Call 911 immediately. Don’t hang up until the operator has all the information necessary to help you.
- Always assume a downed power line is live (and dangerous). Stay away and call us at 800-662-4797 to report it.