Wisconsin sales tax exemption overview

You may be eligible for an exemption from sales tax on your energy bills. This exemption would apply if you are:

  • A 501-C-3 organization (such as a religious, charitable, scientific or education organization).
  • A residential energy user during the months of November through April only.
  • A Native American who is enrolled in and resides on a reservation.
  • Involved in farming or agriculture (including dairy farming, floriculture or horticulture).
  • A manufacturer purchasing and consuming fuel and/or electricity in the manufacture of tangible personal property (change in law effective Jan. 1, 2006).
  • A seller of compressed natural gas (CNG) as a transportation fuel.

To apply for exempt status, the State of Wisconsin requires that you complete Form S-211 (Wisconsin Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate). Please note the effective date of the sales tax exemption is the date the form is signed.

You also may be eligible for a credit of sales tax charged and paid on energy bills prior to the date of the sales tax exemption request on Form S-211. To apply for a credit on past bills, the state of Wisconsin requires that you complete Form S-244 (Certificate of Previous Purchases).

We cannot determine your taxable status. Consult with your tax advisor if you have any questions about the exemptions. You also can visit the Wisconsin Department of Revenue to learn more.

A separate form for each We Energies account that qualifies for the exemption should be filled out. The appropriate form(s) should then be sent to:

We Energies
Billing Department, P288
231 W. Michigan St.
Milwaukee, WI 53203