Critical safety measures for flood victims and preparation for utility reconnection
We Energies is prepared to restore service lost to the recent flooding in our area. We will restore service after proper safety requirements have been met.
Customers continuing to experience flooded homes or businesses must continue to take the appropriate cautionary measures before walking in or near a building that contains standing water in any area of that building. For the safest flood recovery, customers are advised of the following:
If your home or business was damaged due to flooding, an inspection is required before disconnected service will be restored.
- Check to see if your municipality requires an inspection of your electrical wiring and equipment before We Energies can safely reconnect electricity. If it does:
- You will need to provide us information that shows the municipality says it is safe to restore electrical service to your home.
- Required repairs must be completed before service is restored.
- We Energies requires an inspection of your electrical wiring and equipment even if your municipality does not.
- You are responsible to have a certified/licensed electrician inspect your electrical appliances and wiring system.
- You are required to complete any required repairs.
- You must provide We Energies with a signed statement from a licensed/certified electrician in the case of electrical reconnection before We Energies will restore service.
- After electricity is restored, call 800-236-9957 to have us restore natural gas service at your meter. Your appliances must then be checked and re-lit by a licensed plumber or heating contractor.
Natural Gas: 800-236-9957
If your home was not damaged by flooding, but service was disconnected due to unsafe conditions in your area:
- Wait for your local emergency management agencies to grant access to your residence or business and call your local municipality to determine if you are required to have an inspection before utilities can be restored.
- Once granted access, determined whether or not you need an inspection prior to calling We Energies to make restoration arrangements.
- If it is determined your home or business was damaged due to flooding or your municipality requires an inspection:
- We Energies personnel will only reconnect electrical service if you have a signed statement from your municipality or from a licensed electrical contractor stating that it is safe to re-energize your home.
- Any required repairs must be completed prior to service restoration.
- Anytime after electricity is restored, call 800-236-9957 to have your natural gas service restored. Your appliances must then be checked and re-lit by a licensed plumber or heating contractor.
- When your building is deemed safe for reconnection, call We Energies. Electricity: 800-662-4797
Natural Gas: 800-236-9957
- Never walk through any part of a flooded structure until We Energies has safely disconnected the electricity.
- Even a small amount of water on a garage, basement or other floor can put you at risk for electrocution.
- Under no circumstances should you attempt to disconnect or work on or around an electric or gas meter.
If your home or business is flooded, call 800-662-4797 to have electric service disconnected at the meter, and call 800-261-5325 to have natural gas turned off.