Maintain wiring and equipment
- Use only fixtures and materials approved for agricultural use.
- Keep fixtures and equipment clean and dry to avoid corrosion.
- Consider installing a lightning protection system.
- Have a qualified electrician make sure that the service entrance panel to each building is properly grounded.
- Maintain a rodent control program to keep rodents from damaging wiring.
Keep power lines in mind while working
- Lower equipment before crossing under power lines.
- Have another person help you move equipment under power lines.
- Show workers and family members where any potential electric hazards are.
Know what to do in an emergency
- Call 911 immediately. Don’t hang up until the operator has all the information necessary to help you.
- Always assume a downed power line is live, and therefore dangerous. Call the We Energies electric power outage hotline at 800-662-4PWR (4797) anytime you see a downed power line or wire.
Call before you dig